His Holiness Dalai Lama



That’s what His Holiness, the Dalai Lama confessed when he came to deliver a lecture at the Delhi University recently. What’s more, he had the listeners in splits!


http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Layout/Images/pastissues2/Elements/HitBrdr.gif



When the Dalai Lama came to the Delhi University (DU) to address a three-day conference on Tibetan History and Culture, organised by DU and the Central University for Tibetan Studies, Varanasi, recently, he revealed the fact that he is an honorary professor of the university. “I can say that I’ve come to my own university,” he said, adding, “But I am a hopeless professor.” And as the house filled up with the sound of laughter and applause, he went on to explain. “I am hopeless because I have no time to carry out a professor’s duty and also because I am lazy. I don’t do my homework,” he smiled. And we saw Deepak Pental, the vice chancellor, laughing at this one! The conference was attended by scholars from Britain, the US, Europe and Asia. And even after the entry to the hall was closed, hundreds of students and people, who’d gathered to catch a glimpse of the spiritual leader, tried to push open the gate. Later, Gurmeet Singh, proctor, DU, had to allow them entry into the hall. 

NEED LESSONS IN GEOGRAPHY?
 “Wherever I go, they call me the Dalai Lama of Tibet. They never say the Dalai Lama of China. I assume there must be some historical fact behind it, that’s why the people call me so. Only the Chinese call me the Dalai Lama of China’s Tibet,” he said. 
IT’S A TOP SECRET:
 While he started his speech in English, he soon switched to Tibetan. And once he had finished, he turned towards those seated on the stage and said, “That was top secret.” Well, later he did translate what he’d spoken about in English. “Modern education is very important but so is traditional knowledge. I would say one should concentrate on gaining both modern education as well as learning more about the Tibetan history and culture. This will help you fight the challenges in life,” he said. He also talked about the need to propagate the truth about the Tibetan culture. “A lot of times the truth is distorted. It is necessary that all information about the Tibetan history is collected and told to the world.” 

HOLY WATER?
 When the Dalai Lama left the stage, we saw a gentleman pouring water from the glass from which the Dalai Lama had drank, into a bottle and walk away with it. When asked, what he would do with it, he simply smiled. Meanwhile, someone from the gathering said, “This is holy water.” 
STRENGTH AND SILENCE:
 “His visits are always very exciting and inspiring. This was the third time that I met him. His presence has a calming effect. He is truly our pillar of strength,” said Phu from the Department of Buddhist Studies, DU. Nine-year-old Tenzing, pointed to the Tunga, a sacred thread, which he was wearing around his neck and said, “The Dalai Lama gave this to me when I met him on the last Tibetan New Year.” When the program ended, everyone stood up with folded hands and walked out in silence.

No comments: